Subject: Re: Found a VAXtoy today MicroVAX 3300 BA215 tower
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/08/2000 09:23:11
Wow, BA215's are falling out of the sky these days. From none to four on
E-bay, and this one and a couple of others I've seen.

Its a nice system, 2.6VUPS or so which makes it about 2/3 the speed of your
M38. Can be upgraded to a VAX 4000/200 by replacing the CPU board with a
KA660. (5 VUPs) The CXY08 is a serial mux card, generally cables are pretty
easy to come by if  you know any DEC scrappers (look like a printer
connector on one end and four DB25's on the other)

The TK50 is a lose, most have been upgraded to TK70s (much more reliable).
There are only 6 slots and they are all Q/CD (no dual wide card stacking)
so you're a bit limited in your configuration choices. Typically CPU + 2
memory for 32MB + TQK70 + Serial cards. The DSSI on-board isn't supported
yet by NetBSD but you can plug in a card for either DSSI (KQFSA) or SCSI
and use that.

--Chuck