Subject: Re: mopd+Linux
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Fazekas Mihaly <michael@goliat.eik.bme.hu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/29/2000 07:48:27
Hi,

> Today I want to try to install the latest NetBSD 1.4 stuff on a VAXstation
> 3100m30. Since this apparantly requires mopd instead of isc dhcpd, I
> grabbed the linux port mentioned in the NetBSD diskless FAQ:
>
> ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/OS/NetBSD/mopd/mopd-linux-2.5.3.tar.gz
>
> First of all, I assume this does not fix the buffer overflows the
> OpenBSD guys found. Not a huge deal since I am on a private
> network. Second and more importantly, it fails to work. I compile it just
> fine, but when I run it I get this in messages:
>
> # /usr/local/sbin/mopd -a -d
>
> Aug 28 15:58:58 power mopd[1264]: mopd 2.5.3 started.
> Aug 28 15:58:58 power mopd[1264]: Initialized eth0
> Aug 28 15:58:58 power mopd[1264]: malloc: Cannot allocate memory
> Aug 28 15:58:58 power kernel: mopd uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
First: i cannot compile correctly mopd under linux. Why? I don't
understand. But i can find on the net linux binaries (if you want, i can
send to you, or put to public ftp)

!!!Do this:
************ On linux station type: "ifconfig eth0 allmulti" ************
Without this, the VAX cannot boot from linux host.

And the GENERIC 1.4.2 (and i think 1.4.1 too) has a problem:
probe boot via bootp and bootparamd too. I cannot determine wich boot,
wich protocol.
Ex.:
1st boot probe:	VAX probe via bootp
2nd boot probe:	VAX probe via bootparamd
3rd boot probe:	VAX probe via bootp
4th boot probe:	VAX probe via bootp
5th boot probe:	VAX probe via bootparamd
(I think: this is random-change)
Of course, the first boot stage: get mopboot image from host is
succesfull.
In second boot stage probe bootp or bootparamd.

> Any ideas why this happens? Is there an updated and packaged version of
> mopd for Linux that fixes this and the overflows?

If you have VMS and network on your VAX, you can boot (or install) NetBSD
more easy than linux-mopd-bootp*-.... way.

One way if you have VMS (not fine, but if not working anything else):
Convert the boot image (not the boot.mop!) to the ASCII format.
Example: bin2hex,.....
Send this ascii file to the VAX over console.
Convert back to binary.
At now, you can write to any hdd, about:

$mount dxx: /foreign
If not good anything, add the /blocksize=512 qualifier to the mount
command line.

$copy netbsd.img dxx: /contiguous

at now: halt the system, and the chevron type: "boot dxx:"

--
mailto:michael@goliat.eik.bme.hu
Phone: 463-1966