Subject: mopd+Linux
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Brown <shox@shox.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/28/2000 21:53:44
Hi guys,

I have a RedHat 7.0beta system with the latest 2.4.0-test7
kernel. I'm asking for punishment being on the bleeding edge, but
I'm sure more people will have issues as they adopt the later
kernels. Yesterday I set up netbooting and installed NetBSD on a
pmax-based system. Everything worked just fine with dhcpd, tftpd,
bootparamd, nfsd, etc.

Today I want to try to install the latest NetBSD 1.4 stuff on a VAXstation
3100m30. Since this apparantly requires mopd instead of isc dhcpd, I
grabbed the linux port mentioned in the NetBSD diskless FAQ:

ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/OS/NetBSD/mopd/mopd-linux-2.5.3.tar.gz

First of all, I assume this does not fix the buffer overflows the
OpenBSD guys found. Not a huge deal since I am on a private
network. Second and more importantly, it fails to work. I compile it just
fine, but when I run it I get this in messages:

# /usr/local/sbin/mopd -a -d

Aug 28 15:58:58 power mopd[1264]: mopd 2.5.3 started.
Aug 28 15:58:58 power mopd[1264]: Initialized eth0
Aug 28 15:58:58 power mopd[1264]: malloc: Cannot allocate memory
Aug 28 15:58:58 power kernel: mopd uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)

Note that the warning about PF_INET and SOCK_PACKET only happens once - if
I try to restart mopd, it gives the malloc error but not the warning.

This malloc error occurs in the device.c file inside of the deviceOpen
function around line 133.

Any ideas why this happens? Is there an updated and packaged version of
mopd for Linux that fixes this and the overflows?

-Rob

--
Robert Brown
Email:   shox@shox.org