Subject: difference between miniroot.fs and ramdisk-kernel?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/17/2000 15:50:50
Does anyone have any insight on the release architecture for netbsd ?

I've read the release(7) page but it is fairly generic. In particular I'd
like to know what constitutes a "real" and "complete" snapshot release.
Most stuff is pretty clear but the one I've hung up on at the moment is the
difference between
	miniroot.fs
and
	netbsd.INSTALL.gz (the ramdisk based kernel)

I sort of assumed (I know, bad idea :-) that miniroot.fs was the "file
system image" that could be overlayed on to a boot floppy or some such,
however at 7MB its not going to fit on most floppies :-)

Further the miniroot doesn't appear to have a kernel or boot program on it.

Ok, so those are interesting questions, and when taken from the other side,
I get:

How would you build an install tape?

	- One way might be to put the ram disk kernel on the front, then build
	  into sysinst the "smarts" to get files from tape without rewinding or
	  skipping on the tape (one file per 'set')

	- One way might be to put a file system image as the second file, boot
	  the ramdisk kernel, create _another_ ramdisk (mfs?) and copy the contents
	  of the second file (filesystem image) into that virtual disk.

Boot floppies are equally curious. But in that case you pretty much have to
copy a miniroot into ram and instantiate it.

Any insights from anyone on what the "real" way to do this is?  A pointer
perhaps to a netbsd "release master tutorial"?

--Chuck