Subject: Re: instruction emulation
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/17/2000 15:48:54
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>
> > No, you need a KE780 module to use G and H floats, otherwise there will
> > be a trap.  F and D floats are however emulated in microcode if no
> > floating point accelerator is present.
>
> Hmmm. Wonder how many 780s that didn't have the KE780...?
>
> While I'm not sure at it, I think the 750 and 86x0 machines handle G and H
> floats even without an FPA, but FPA is nice to have...

The 750 can't handle G and H floats in hardware at all. It has microcoded
D and F floats that can be accelerated with a FP750. There is a module
called KU750 that implements G and H floats in software (microcode) but
without it there will just be an "reserved instruction" trap.

The 730 have all floating point formats in microcode, and all of them
can be accelerated with a FP730.

This info is from the "VAX Hardware Handbook".

-- Ragge