Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3100 netboot fails
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/15/2000 11:36:24
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Chris wrote:

> on 8/8/00 5:23 PM, George Harvey at fr30@dial.pipex.com wrote something
> like:
>
> > I've tried the 3 MMJ ports, and even the DB-25 modem port, but there
> > is no response from any of them after the kernel load finishes. Are
> > there any special requirements for the console? (I am using a VT220
> > terminal emulator running at 9600/8/N/1).
>
>     You need also have XON/XOFF receive flow control, smooth scroll disabled
> and DSR/DTR handshake (usually called modem control on DEC Terminals) for
> the VAX to talk to you usually.

You can run with or without smooth scroll. It don't matter. That's what
the XON/XOFF stuff helps you with...
DSR/DTR are to tell the other end that you have something connected. You
can wire them together locally at each end if you want to. On the VT220
you can also tell the terminal to ignore that signal, leaving just Tx, Rx
and GND to be connected.
I'm not sure, but I *think* the VAX don't really care about DSR/DTR
either...
And DSR/DTR are called modem control by the RS-232 *standard*, which DEC
(unlike many others) actaully follows...

> > If the netbooted kernel is running, but I just can't see the
> > console, what additional entries would I need in /dev to be
> > able to start the network (there is only an entry for the
> > console at present).
>
>     Um, probably kmem, and a few others. Why not just do a ./MAKEDEV all?

Good advice.

	Johnny