Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3100 netboot fails
To: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>,
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/14/2000 23:48:03
on 8/8/00 5:23 PM, George Harvey at fr30@dial.pipex.com wrote something
like:

> I've tried the 3 MMJ ports, and even the DB-25 modem port, but there
> is no response from any of them after the kernel load finishes. Are
> there any special requirements for the console? (I am using a VT220
> terminal emulator running at 9600/8/N/1).

    You need also have XON/XOFF receive flow control, smooth scroll disabled
and DSR/DTR handshake (usually called modem control on DEC Terminals) for
the VAX to talk to you usually.

> I have also tried booting from floppy (RX23, 1.4MB) using the
> 'boot.fs' image but that gave me a stack trace. I have included
> the 'sh ver' and 'sh dev' output below along with the floppy boot
> stack trace.

    The boot.fs floppy image doesn't work as is. Someone wrote up a
procedure for making it work some months back. (Pasted in below)

>> Almost. I tried to backtrace what I did and if I can remember correctly,
>> this is how I did it (And 80 pieces is incorrect, it's twice that.):
>> (it's (t)csh by the way :-)
>>
>> gunzip boot.fs.gz
>>
>> split -b 7680 boot.fs   #each track is 15 sectors, so if the boot-image
>> #had been 1.2MB the result would have been 160 pieces.
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=pad count=3 #create the 3 sector big "padding"
>>
>> touch boot.rx23                #make noclobber happy
>>
>> foreach i (x*)                 #but it all back together
>>> cat $i pad >> boot.rx23
>>> end
>>
>> Then you should have a 1229824 bytes image ready to dd to the floppy.

> If the netbooted kernel is running, but I just can't see the
> console, what additional entries would I need in /dev to be
> able to start the network (there is only an entry for the
> console at present).

    Um, probably kmem, and a few others. Why not just do a ./MAKEDEV all?

    Chris