Subject: Re: VS3100-M76-SPX FTP speeds
To: None <psapprich@mindspring.com>,
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/14/2000 22:22:50
on 8/14/00 10:09 PM, Paul Apprich at psapprich@mindspring.com wrote
something like:

> Fellow VAXophilen,
>
> It is normal for a VS3100 M76 to FTP data about 80KBytes/sec?
>
> Paul

    No it shouldn't be. What version are you running (uname -a), what type
of network connection (physical layer) are you connected to, and what is the
output of ifconfig -a. If you're running something Pre SCSI-DMA, it could be
slow HD access. If you're running Current, I remember seeing a post on
current-users about i386 FTP performance going down the tubes. It could also
just be a bad cable, among other things. I've pushed 300-500 k/sec out of my
VS3100 m30 on 1.4P (on Thick Ethernet), while that isn't great considering
what Ultrix can probably do, but it's certainly beats 80 k/sec. I assume you
are downloading from another machine directly connected or on the same
subnet?

    Chris