Subject: booting 1.5_ALPHA, some gotchas
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/11/2000 12:43:17
Hello All,

Well I've recruited a 4000/VLC to be my 1.5_ALPHA guinea pig and this is
what I learned.
	- I successfully built 1.5 from the branch all the way through (no crypto
though)
	- I couldn't build the ram disk (aka miniroot.fs) but that is just
figuring out some
	  changes that Matt has made that are now apparently out of sync with the
release.
	- I netbooted the VLC with 1.4X, partitioned and newfs'd a SCSI disk and
then mounted
	  it under /a. (including /a/usr /a/var)
	- unpacked all of the sets on to the disk. (gzip -dc *.tgz | (cd /a ; tar
-xpvf -) )
	- Ran disklabel -B to install a boot block
	- cd /a/dev and do a ./MAKEDEV all
	- cd /a/etc , edit fstab and put the right things in for the disk
	- edit rc.conf, get it all straighten out and reboot.

Wham it won't boot.

As it turns out you have to be careful about bootstraps and boot images for
the transition from a 1.4n system to a 1.5 system. You can either use
'disklabel -B -b /a/usr/mdec/sdboot sd0' or you can try to get booted
standalone and then use disklabel and then go from there. Obviously this
will only be a problem for "upgrades" and not fresh installs using sysinst.

After sorting out the boot details it came right up and is now running the
alpha code.

--Chuck