Subject: Re: Overlaying 1.5ALPHA over 1.4Y -- boot block problems....
To: None <nbsd@righi.dhs.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/10/2000 10:29:35
> I did in this way.
>
> I copyed all the  20000620-1.5 snapshot stuff in a directory
> I booted the kernel, it was working properly.
> I just untarred all the new stuff over the old one caring about the /etc
> merging, because the /etc is a little different from 1.4 to 1.5 and it
> worked out perfectly.

That is exactly what I did.  Then, on reboot, it gave me an error msg
that I needed to update the boot blocks.  I did a disklabel -R -B which
I thought would have installed the correct boot blocks.
Then on reboot, it did the primary boot and errored out with spurious
interrupt cyclic msgs that locked up the machine.

I was close, but still not right on.

Something got scrambled in my boot blocks, and I need to find out how
to properly put new the boot blocks in place.  IF not, then I need to
figure out how to properly install a kernel/fs with a sysinstall
and bring it up from scratch where a total fresh install is done.

Do you get any message in booting about needing to up date your boot
blocks, after rebooting the machine?

Thanks

Bob