Subject: Overlaying 1.5ALPHA over 1.4Y -- boot block problems....
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/10/2000 09:41:08
After genuking the battery last night to clear its login password,
I managed to get my stock 1.4Y clone disk up and running on the
VS3100 M76.  Then, I decided to try the 1.5ALPHA suite.  I unrolled
it over the 1.4Y, and on rebooting it said I needed to update the
boot blocks.  I went looking for an installboot and found nothing.
I am assuming that should be around some place?  If not, will a
re-disklabel with the -R -B parameters redo the boot blocks properly?
When I tried that the machine only partially booted the boot blocks
and then died with a spurious interrupt error.  Apparently, I must
have had some mixed and matched boot block sets.  If I have a running
1.4Y level, what is the best way to cleanly install the 1.5ALPHA
from the 1.4Y?  I was close, but just a tad off the correct way.
This is one of those occasions where a minimum install cdimage
with at least base/etc/kern would be advantageous.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Bob