Subject: Re: booting VAX 400-300 from SCSI hd
To: M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/09/2000 21:14:01
Hi !

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, M J Dowden wrote:
>      I have been unable to boot my VAX 4000-300 from a SCSI hard disk.
> I have tried using an RZ57 (just hangs, no error messages) and an
> RZ58 (endlessly sends the message: "stray interrupt: pc 302a6c vector
> 0x18, ipl 31")
>      If I netboot the VAX, I can mount the hard disk and view the
> contents, use "df", etc. Thus, the problem seems to be at boot time
> only.
>      Ideas?

1.5_ALPHA works very well with the 4000/300. Which SCSI controller do you use?
If it is a KZQSA, you better put it into your storage and get either a MSCP
SCSI controller, or a KFQSA (which is also MSCP) to talk to the internal DSSI
bus. The latter way is the one i use in my setup.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.