Subject: Re: Stuck prom on VS3100 M76 --- how to reset?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/09/2000 21:12:16
Hi

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> but had never tried it on one of the Dallas chips.  The mt08 sun
> chip had two watch batteries in the top epoxy.  How is the Dallas
> chip laid out?

Ok, Jochen prefers the drill, i prefer the saw. Here is my way: Take a nice
little metal saw (Called "PUK-saw" here), and carefully saw off the top,
i set the cut about 1mm under the top edge. Somewhen you will find some hard
thing there, it is round, you have found the battery. This way i replaced the
battery in the DS1386 of my SGI Indy, and also could replace the top part of
the enclosure. (Don't find the picture currently, but it looks nice).
In the DS1386, the battery is in the side towards the noth and pin1, but no
garantee, that other Dallas chips are layouted the same. Sun (Mostek or so)
uses chips with the battery towards the other edge.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.