Subject: RE: Stuck prom on VS3100 M76 --- how to reset?
To: 'NetBSD Bob' <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@cabletron.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/09/2000 14:32:52
NetBSD Bob [mailto:nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu] wrote:

>By manually stepping through all the letters of the alphabet, I found
>that the prom only accepts b, c, h, and l (bingo!).

B is BOOT
C is CONTINUE
H is HALT
L is LOGIN (which is how you get to priv'ed mode so you can use all the
commands)

> L calls for the password and returns the error if anything odd is
returned.

The password will be sixteen digits of hex!

>I opened up the case and scanned around the motherboard, but only found
>two jumpers at the clock chips.  Those would not likely be the reset
>points.

I don't think its a jumper.

>I did find on a search for your name, a lot of Italian music things, and

Not me!

>one VAX 4000 post about the pads next to the TOY chip.  Is that what I
>should be looking for on the VS3100 M76?

That's the nearest I can find too. Assuming you mean
http://solar.physics.montana.edu/hypermail/linux-vax/0119.html.

That won't be too far off for the 3100-76. IIRC you need to find two
triangular pads right next to each other, somewhere near the DALLAS chip.
Then you short them (with power off, I think) and Bob's your uncle, so to
speak :-)

I'll open one up when I get a chance and play. Hopefully tomorrow!

Antonio