Subject: RE: Stuck prom on VS3100 M76 --- how to reset?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@cabletron.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/08/2000 22:35:00
NetBSD Bob wrote:
> A manual reset shows >>> but only the halt and boot commands seem
> to work.  Everything else comes up with an ILL CMD error msg.

The VAXstation 3100 series supports a console password.

If the command:

	>>> SHOW PSE

comes back with

?23 ILL CMD

then the console password has been set.

I forget exactly where I've scribbled down the procedure for clearing this.
Basically power off, short two pads for a few seconds and you're done.
Obviously it matters which pads. I did explain this a few years ago on
comp.sys.dec or comp.os.vms so maybe deja will help.

If not, and if it really is the password, let me know and I'll go pull the
cover off a M76 and find the pins.

Antonio

Antonio Carlini
Riverstone Networks