Subject: Re: Stuck prom on VS3100 M76 --- how to reset?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Wolfgang Rupp <rupp@chello.at>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/08/2000 22:01:32
NetBSD Bob wrote:
> A manual reset shows >>> but only the halt and boot commands seem
> to work.  Everything else comes up with an ILL CMD error msg.
This is good. Now issue "SET HALT 3". This will stop the machine in
the monitor at future boot. To specify the boot environment variable,
give it "SET BOOT ??" where ?? is: DKAx00, DBBx00, ESA0, depending
on your system. DKAx00 is the first SCSI bus, DKBx00 is the second
SCSI bus. x=SCSI-ID of your boot drive. This will enable you to just
"b". Or, you can always "b [device]".

> By any chance could the on-board nvram chip be bad?  I thought I noticed
> a Dallas nvram/clock chip when I pulled the HD mount plate to check for
> ram installed.
I don't remember if there is a Dallas chip in my box (M38). There is
also an external battery pack in there. This can be replaced, see my
http://wfr.net (The site still sucks, but this one feature is there :-)

> Anyone have a list of prom commands for the M76, if they are strange?
HELP should give you a list of commands.
To display the system configuration: TEST 50
For an explanation of the POST output and a few errors, please see my
website. When I get some time I will put this whole stuff online,
this is becoming a FAQ. But the manuals can't be scanned because of
copyright.

> Is there any particular level of NetBSD recommended for this particular
> machine?  I thought I would start with the 1.5_ALPHA port, first.
I have a M38 running 1.4L. You will have to use a serial console.
Put the switch near the idiots lights up: 9600-8N1 at the printer port.

Wolfgang