Subject: Re: Anyone know if NetBSD can key a radio transmitter
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/05/2000 00:20:29
Hi !

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:
[Morse output from NetBSD]
> What I need to do in unix is to turn off all serial port control, and
> get to the raw port to do the toggling.

This will not be that easy on most of the platforms. In the case of just
having a async serial communication, i would create some little computer with
an 8031 on it (just need the MCU, an EPROM, a latch, a xtal and 3 caps to build
it) to build the control between the serial port and the relay or whatever
keys your PTT.

> The serial port toggle would be the most generic between the machines
> I was thinking, so it might be worth sticking with that.

In most cases, the serial port handling is done by hardware, so you can't just
switch the TX line on and off like you need it. A point to look for would be
the generation of a break signal, this must be by controlling the TX line
by something else than the built-in shift register. If the serial controller
is capable of generating a BREAK, and if it is even capable of giving a time
for this BREAK signal, you could do it this way. I see no other possibility
to abuse the serial line to generate controlled digital signals not related to
an anync data transmission.

> OK, I hope I have not opened a can of worms, but, anyone interested
> in continuing this thread, do holler.  We could keep it offline with
> a group email.

This is really interesting... but i don't think it's of public interest, so
if we really get more into detail, we should it do in private. If someone in
the list is also interested, he should mail one of us in private to also get
access to our thread :-)

My last word on this topic in port-vax...

...Michael

--
void windows() { while(status == SYS_RUNNING) { sleep(rand()); bluescreen(); }}