Subject: RE: Nice place to get Vaxen equip
To: PaulT <ptice@p2.net>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/03/2000 18:31:02
At 03:35 PM 8/3/00 -0500, PaulT wrote:
>What I am wondering is what is the fastest CPU I could put in my ol' uVax
>3300
>w/o having to buy new memory, etc...
>I've got a KA640-AA right now, I'd like to move up a VUP (without selling all
>the silver cups..arrghhh!)
>
>Anybody have a good source for data on this sort of thing?

That's easy, the best you can do is a KA660 (aka a VAX 4000/200 CPU). Not
only does this CPU take you from 2.4 to 5 VUPs (more than double the
speed), it uses the exact same cabinet kit (cab kit) and memory so you can
just swap it out. It will address more memory however so a 4000/200 with
64MB of memory really rocks. Once you get above the KA660 the CPU card is
on a non-Q-bus connector. I'm fortunate in that I have both a BA440 with
the 4000/200 back plane (all Q-bus) and one with the 4000/300 backplane
(m-bus slots on the right).

Its still slower than the 4000/VLC (6 VUPS)

Unfortunately, everyone that has a Q-bus based VAX this is their best hope
to make it as fast as possible before they retire it so KA660 cards are
somewhat in demand. I found this out when I tried to buy one on the
"dealer" market and was looking at $650 in no time. Fortunately I lucked
into one.

--Chuck