Subject: Re: hello list!
To: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
From: Erno Palonheimo <esp@cc.hut.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/02/2000 02:46:56
Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de> writes:

> RAM should be 16 Megs or more to really talk of usable, but for now,
> if you use one box for Samba and NFS, and the other box for your
> internet services, you might get a funny setup out of the two
> machines. But don't expect too much, if you usually know the
> performance of Pentiums or Alphas :-)

I have to disagree about the amount of memory...  My only computer
besides Macintosh SE/30, which is used as a fancy cd-player, is a
MicroVAX II, which runs apache, junkbuster, sshd, bind 8, appletalk
and friends just fine, and it also serves my roommate's computing
needs (four serial terminals and one LN03 attached).  The amount of
memory installed is 13 megabytes, which is just enough for these
tasks.  The trick is to actually make use of all the tunable
parameters available.  VMS didn't fly on these machines, either,
unless you adjusted your working set parameters by trial & error.
But, when correctly configured, a VAX is enough for almost everything.
Despite the common belief, computers don't get slower when they get
older. ;-)

--
--- Erno Palonheimo -- Helsinki University of Technology
----- esp@cc.hut.fi -- Administrative Manouvers in the Dark