Subject: Re: question about 3100 M48
To: P.G. <pgaray@bigfoot.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/01/2000 17:05:10
Several things come to mind.

         Do you see a collision every time this system
         trys to send a packet? Try changing the state
         of the "hearbeat" switch on the 10BT->AUI adapter.

         Does someone else have the same IP address?
         Version one of this problem is a ping to host A
         that already has an arp entry for that IP address
         to somewhere else.

         Can the machine you are pinging actually route
         back to the VAX? Routing errors often send
         packets on circuitous and bogus trips.
         Try running traceroute on the target machine
         to see how it would get its packets to the
         vax.

         The switch could be dirty. It has to switch
         both the xmit and recv lines from the BNC
         to the AUI. Get some contact cleaner, power
         off the VAX, shoot cleaner into the switch
         and work it back and forth a dozen times.

         Check the cable between the hub and the
         VAX. You need both pairs connected for
         it to work. Try an alternate cable, try
    *         an alternate port on the hub.