Subject: Re: hello list!
To: Jordi Vidal <tux@elgratuit.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/01/2000 16:14:55
Hi !

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Jordi Vidal wrote:
> I'm Jordi Vidal, from catalonia (spain)
> I have 2 microvax 3100 8Mb ram & external HD
> I want to put into a samba server, ipchains, mail server, fetchmail, ftpd, &
> NFS, in order to route and serve a Lan to internet.
> Is possible this?

Possible? Definitely YES. But with 8 Megs you will not have much fun out of
these machines. What model is it (i think, if there is just "MicroVAX 3100" on
the front, it is a /10, which is not very fast)?

Usually VAXen are very slow compared to modern Intel-based machines, if you
really have a m10 or m20, you may compare this with an Intel about 386DX25 or
so, when you run NetBSD on it. So, it might be a bit tricky to split these
services between both machines to get a bit out of them. RAM should be 16 Megs
or more to really talk of usable, but for now, if you use one box for Samba
and NFS, and the other box for your internet services, you might get a funny
setup out of the two machines. But don't expect too much, if you usually know
the performance of Pentiums or Alphas :-)

...Michael

--
void windows() { while(status == SYS_RUNNING) { sleep(rand()); bluescreen(); }}