Subject: Re: about VAXstation performance
To: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/28/2000 13:28:40
>> Vup is equivalent to approx .9 of the mythological MIP (where the
>> KL10 was 1.0 MIP in 1980).

> I'm not sure what a MIP is, but assuming your talking about MIPS,

If you want to try to pick (arguably invalid) nits about language, you
would come across a whole lot better if you didn't make blunders like
confusing "your" and "you're".

As for what "MIP" is, it's the singular of "MIPS".  This is an instance
of a process called "back-formation"; such are relatively common, at
least in English.  For example, it has given us "pea" from "peas",
formerly "pease", which was a mass noun; it has given us "burgle" and
"peddle" from "burglar" and "peddler", the latter formerly spelled
"pedlar".  It's given us "lase", from "laser".  It may someday give us
"buttle" from "butler", though as yet that particular instance
currently is mostly restricted to intended-as-humorous uses.

And it's given us MIP, from MIPS.

In an attempt to avoid being *entirely* off-topic, I'd like to point
out that MIPS ratings alone are not meaningfully comparable between
different instruction sets; the more different the instruction sets,
the less meaningful the comparison.  For example, I had a PDP-8/f that
I measured at about 0.5 MIPS - which sounds fast for its day, until you
realize that it was also quite RISCy, with a fairly minimalist
instruction set.  In terms of actually getting stuff done, it was
nohwere near half the speed of an 11/780 (which as I hope everyone here
knows is hard over towards the CISC end of the RISC/CISC spectrum).

Not that this is a reason to avoid comparing one VAX with another based
on MIPS ratings, though you have to be careful with the instruction mix.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca