Subject: Re: your mail
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/26/2000 13:43:22
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, der Mouse wrote:

> > What format/filesystem would be on the disk?
>
> Back when I used VMS, the filesystem was called FILES-11 and was almost
> completely undocumented.  I saw bqt, who quite likely knows more than I
> about it, say ODS-2, which may or may not be another name for the same
> thing.  If anyone can find docs on the on-disk layout, I'd be
> interested in hacking together some tools; somewhere, I ought to have a
> disk image from my VS2K's disk before I destroyed the VMS install in
> favor of NetBSD/vax....

Okay, FILES-11 is a somewhat confusing term, but it's another name
sometimes used.
ODS stands for On Disk Structure (IIRC), and you have both ODS-1 and
ODS-2. Both are called FILES-11, but they differ. RSX uses ODS-1, while
VMS uses ODS-2. VMS can also read ODS-1 structures, and RSX can (with some
coaxing) use ODS-2 (I haven't tried that one myself).

The ODS-1 structure is in the RSX manuals, while I don't know where you
might find ODS-2. I would expect the VMS manuals to cover it, but I
haven't looked. I *think* I've seen the documentation online somewhere,
but I sure as hell don't remember right now. Try searching for ODS-2 and
see what pops up.

I can look things up for ODS-1 if you want to. Given some time, and a few
reminders, I can start looking for ODS-2 in my manuals as well.

	Johnny