Subject: Re: Q-bus slot 13?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/25/2000 09:30:40
Hi !

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, der Mouse wrote:
> > In the worst case, you have to format them.
>
> How would I do that?

Either you put all drives into a VAXstation 2000 and do test 71 or something
in this area, and hope, you got the right RQDX3 with the same format as the
VS2k. The other (more "official" way) would be the MicroVAX diagnostig tape,
there might be a formatter inside. (Missing in mine, so not every tape has
this).

> > But if they do nothing at the moment, check out, if you have ESDI
> > drives connected to a ST506-controller.  If the M8639 is ESDI, you
> > might have trashed something now.  The connectors of ESDI and ST506
> > are the same, but the signals are very different.
>
> How do I tell which is which?  The drive that works is a Micropolis
> 1325, marked as an RD53.  The rest are also Micropolis, one marked as
> 1325, the others as 1325D.

RD53 = MFM (ST506). Don't know the ESDI numbers, but RD?? is MFM usually. As
RZ?? is SCSI and RA?? is SDI.

> uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 770 ipl 17
> mscpbus1 at uda0: version 2 model 3
> mscpbus1: DMA burst size set to 4
> ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RD53

This looks fine.

> qe0 at uba0 csr 174440 vec 764 ipl 17
> qe0: deqna, hardware address 08:00:2b:05:10:ba
> boot device: ra0
> root on ra0a dumps on ra0b
> ra0: size 138672 sectors
> root file system type: ffs
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
>
> With each of the four disks as the second drive:
>
> Drive 1:
> at boot		ra1 at mscpbus1 drive 1: RD51
> disklabel ra1	ra1: attempt to bring on line failed:  media format error (unknown subcode) (code 5, subcode 6)

Is the online-switch on the front panel switched to the "online" position?
Check if all cables are in the currect direction. If you are now using the
QBus distributor card, check the jumper, it usually knows about one RX50 or
2 RD??s. If you use the internal BS23 distributor, this might be the problem,
officially, this think can't control 2 disks (but i think, someone had it
running).

> no ra1 found at boot

This is a bit more strange... Compare the jumpers of the drives.

...Michael

--
 Michael@unixiron.org, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.bsdfans.org
 I'm using: [solaris] [hp-ux] [irix] [freebsd] [netbsd] [openbsd] [linux]