Subject: Re: mroe about cc compile errores.
To: rj45 <rj45@lart.xmission.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/22/2000 11:10:45
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, rj45 wrote:

> I got a cc1,core of 16MB after the cc error.
> Perhaps the system cannot handle such a big executable creation ?
>
> I have 32MB of system memory and 100M of swap space.

You might need to tweak the runtime limit values in order to compile
certain files which cause large processes.  The `limit' command will
display the current values.  See the csh man page for info on the usage of
the limit command.

I don't know what the current maximum process size is for the NetBSD/vax
port, but I recall it be relatively small due to the way the page tables
are setup... I'm thinking it was somewhere around 24-32Megs, but I'd have
to look at the source to be sure.

Another trick that's handy for dealing with compile processes that grow
too large is to compile the offending file without optimization.  So you
get some non-optimal object code, but once that file is done you re-run
the make and it'll move on to finish the compile (unless it hits another
big file).

Of course you said it died with a signal 4.  That's the illegal
instruction execution trap.  That could very well be a bug in the
compiler, or at least in its object code.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
               But enough talk about serious science.
               Let's talk about ELASTIC BACON!  -- K.