Subject: Re: DSSI Support?
To: 'port-vax@netbsd.org' <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/18/2000 14:02:06
I replied last time, perhaps it didn't get through.

Yes, there is work underway to support DSSI drives, Ragge has been doing
the preliminary work on supporting the SHAC controller (uVAX 4000/xxx) and
I've been writing a driver for the SII (uVAX 3400). The latest fix to the
boot code to support booting from the RPB device was a great help here. I
don't know where the shac support is at the moment, my kernel can attach
the SII controller and allocate some buffers out of the shared address
space and do inquiry commands to the devices on the bus and create the
basic disk labels, next stop is to support raw access to the devices and
then make sure I can handle errors. I took a hit when the 1.5 branch stuff
hit as the kernel stopped being buildable but I've got one that at least
limps along now on Q-bus based vaxes (the vsbus stuff is still toast.)

Of course DSSI drives on the KFQSA work already (have since 1.4 at least)

And of course is isn't like anyone said to me "Chuck go do this." I, like
you, couldn't find anyone working on it so I started on it.

--Chuck