Subject: Re: various considerations
To: None <nbsd@righi.dhs.org>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/18/2000 00:15:13
Hi !

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 nbsd@righi.dhs.org wrote:
> Hello, I have these small troubles now with the latest snapshot installed:
> 1) the name service, ti works but I Always got these warning message
> Jul 17 15:40:57 mariah /netbsd: arplookup: unable to enter address for
> 131.154.11.102
> 1.102 (host is not on local network)

Check your network setup. Is this address in the range you configured for your
interface? Check netmask and so.

> 2) I have these ld warning whatever progam I get to compile and link:
> tis was linking for ssh
[blah]
Don't look at this, it's not a bug, it's a feature. It looks very bad, but
the executables run, the compiler doesn't tell you about errors, just this
relocation stuff.

> 3) latest questoin:
>    for installing the latest snapshot I just booted the snapshot from May
> which had a bootable CD image then I Got the new snapshot kernel and the
> new boot program. after testing they were working I did overwirte the old
> kernel and boot program and I untarred the new snapshot distribution over
> the old one and everything seems working now. Is it the correct method to
> use to install a new version of a NetBSD system ?

I never booted from CD, but this is the correct way of an update, as long as
you save your config files before kicking your installation away.
Alternatively, you can reconfigure the whole system. But in that case, you can
do it a bit cleaner by newfs'ing the file systems before the untar procedure.

...Michael

--
 Michael@unixiron.org, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.bsdfans.org
 I'm using: [solaris] [hp-ux] [irix] [freebsd] [netbsd] [openbsd] [linux]