Subject: Re: Console cable length?
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/17/2000 10:01:27
Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE> writes:

> Not so. RS-232 is specified for 15 meters. I've run 20-30 meters without
> any problems at all, and would not be that surprised if 50 meters worked
> just fine as well.

I once did 75 meters, half of which was next to the power cabling for
some heavy motor equipment (we're talking a couple hundred amps here),
on unshielded cable.  Worked with just the odd error at 1200 bps.  The
hardware used was from Siemens, which is probably part of the reason
why it worked.

-tih
--
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.
                                                     --Eric S. Raymond