Subject: Re: daemons inetd strange behaviour
To: None <nbsd@righi.dhs.org>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/17/2000 12:09:04
HI !

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 nbsd@righi.dhs.org wrote:
> whatever daaemon ssh ssh2 or telnet or ftp they are enabled I c annot
> enter inside thw system from outside
>
> the client h angs checking for an encrypted connection and it lasts
> minutes before it gets the telnet or ftp prompt.
> The ssh then does not reply at all it never prompts me for password.

Even with my clean DNS installation, it wants to go online here. I have to
look for the thing it wants to request. Maybe you just should have a permanent
internet connection currently :-) Try kicking out the resolv.conf and the
default gateway, then any requests will fail much quicker, and it should work.

> I als oahve problem with ping and traceroute they does not show me
> anything, is it for a security policy or something ??

There were strange ICMP problems a while ago, but i think it worked here
yesterday. But maybe i didn't try a ping.

> How I disable or manage thte default security policy ??

Just enable telnet, shell and login in inetd.conf, then it should work.
Installing OpenSSH or so might be a good idea to make the system happy. But i
didn't check out the performance the VAX needs for the encryption/decryption.

...Michael

--
 Michael@unixiron.org, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.bsdfans.org
 I'm using: [solaris] [hp-ux] [irix] [freebsd] [netbsd] [openbsd] [linux]