Subject: Re: Memory message MEM_NOT_AVAIL
To: None <nbsd@righi.dhs.org>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/13/2000 12:23:33
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 nbsd@righi.dhs.org wrote:
> on my 4000/60 when I issue the command
>
> sh mem
>
> I Got these results
>
> MEM_TOP=02000000
> MEM_BOT=00000000
>
>  MEM_NOT_AVAIL
> ---------------
> 01FBE800:01FFFFFF
>
> that is if I make the difference between the two memory values = 417FF
> that is about 200KB

Acually 260.5kb (268287 bytes).

> this means that 200KB of RAM on 32M total I have are not avaliable ??
> coult it be because of 1 pin of a SIMM module socket is damaged ??
> This could be the reason of the MEM_NOT_AVAIL message ?
> and if these 200KB are not avaliable all the rest of MEMORY will be
> addressed correctly even if that PIN is damaged ??

If a memory pin were damaged the memory loss would be some binary
multiple and likely much larger hole than that.

I'd bet the "hole" is for the system firmware or possibly buffers.  Keep
in mind the statement is "not available" not that it doesn't exist.  My
vax biased assumption would be the memory (or that space) is committed for
some other use.

In the grand scheme of things 260k out of 32mb is nothing if
insignificant.

Allison