Subject: Re: RQDXA and Maxtor drive...
To: Cthulhu <cthulhu@flashnet.it>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/01/2000 23:53:03
Cthulhu,

Unless that drive had already been used on an RQDX3 or similar
controller before, it probably won't be usable until formatted.
This topic came up last about 3 months ago on this list.  You
can either use a Vaxstation 2000 as a formatter for the drive,
or use a PDP11 with XXDP.  With the Vaxstation, you need to know
the answers to a series of questions it will ask you.  Someone
has posted examples for RD52, RD53 and RD54, I think in

http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/hardware/
third-party-disks.txt

(all one URL)

Looking XT1140 up in my handy POCKET PCRef, I find that the
CHS is (917,15,17), and the RD54 (XT2190) is (1224,15,17).
Formatted capacity 119 Mb, about a third of the way between an RD53 and
RD54.

Do you have A Vaxstation 2000 handy?

Doug