Subject: Re: VAX8350
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko@ntt-f4-104-3.thinktank.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/26/2000 08:54:31
On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 04:25:08PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   No, the 8350 is a much smaller machine.  I'm sure it does have
> airflow sensors in there somewhere, but it's a single-chassis box
> that's the same as the original 8200 came in (BA32?)...It's a 10.5"
> tall unit that can be taken out of whatever rack it's in and put into
> any other 19" rack and plugged into a power strip like the rest of us
> do. ;)  Its blowers are powered internally by the same power
> cable...it's completely stand-alone.

The airflow sensors are close to the RX50 disk drives, I can look
the location from the docs if somebody really want to know.

>   That three-phase business, though...I think it's not three-phase,
> but just 220V (actually two-phase, two hots and a neutral)...If the
> power connector has three blades, it's one of these.  If it's labeled,
> it should say "L6-30".
>
>   But again you don't need to use that power distribution unit.  You
> can just use the standard 110v power connector on the end of the cable
> coming out of the processor chassis itself.

At least the european editions (at least in Finland) take 380V 3-phase to
the power distributor and give out 220V single phase. I have an 11/44 with
a broken PSU and the setup is *very* similar, except for the 8350 having
the funky *300V DC* lines that go out to the backup battery.

Now for the stupid question:
How do you boot an 8350 ??? I looked at the docs and it seems it can only
boot from RA??, CI, probably tape and RX50. So, if I'm aiming for
netboot what do I do next ? I would really prefer booting just the machine
and leaving the RA81s unconnected.

--
Jarkko Teppo
jate@uwasa.fi