Subject: Re: Repost: mVax3100: asks boot & root partition at boot
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/2000 09:10:55
on 6/19/00 5:01 AM, Franco Tassone at franco.tassone@rgn.it wrote something
like:

> Hi all,
> successfully installed 1.4.2 my mVax3100, now an oddity: it stops during
> boot prompting
>
> boot device: <unknown>
> root device:
>
> I was booting from dka100, and if I give sd0a as root partition, the
> booting process follows regularly.

    The platform independent SCSI driver does this, once booted it starts
numbering devices from zero. (sd0, cd0, st0, etc.) I think someone mentioned
that you have to do set bflg 0 in the >>> prompt to fix this. If it still
doesn't autodetect, you may have to build you're own custom kernel
configuration with the netbsd flag filled in. Something like:

netbsd      root on sd0a type ffs

    Once the kernel finds the root fs, it (last I checked) automatically
defaults to sdXb for the swap partition. So that should be all you need.

    Chris