Subject: Re: MicroVAX/VAXserver 3300
To: Wolfgang Rupp <rupp@chello.at>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/15/2000 23:29:43
Hi !

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Wolfgang Rupp wrote:
> > How far along is DSSI support for NetBSD/vax?
> I have no idea.

Does someone have the definitive information, that there is spoken MSCP on
the DSSI bus? This might speed up things. For now, DSSI just works with the
morst QBus-adapters knowing about MSCP.

> > If DSSI is a long way away is there anywhere I can get a copy of ULTRIX
> > I tried talking to Compaq (retards) but they must have thought I was on crack
> > for wanting a copy of VAX Ultrix
>  :-)
> Well, if you really want to try Ulrix, I've got what looks like a fairly
> complete set of Ultrix 4.4 CDs (1994) for both MIPS and VAX with my
> DECsystem 5500. Alltogether maybe a dozen CDs. If you want to copy the
> media, contact me by private email, BUT:
>
> Beware that even if I let you copy the media, you don't have a license to
> run the software. And I never bothered to check how to get one. My VAXen
> run NetBSD and VMS, and the DECsystem waits for general NetBSD support.
>
> BTW, what was left of the Ultrix Grey Wall is _excellent_ reading.
> They put stuff in it that would be unthinkable in today's manuals.

Ultrix might be a nice choice for just look at the framebuffer action, but
i think, even here, VMS is the even better choice. And for VMS, anybody can get
free hobbyist licenses. It knows about TCP/IP and so, i experimentally sent
out an usual e-mail via SMTP from my VS 4000 VLC some time ago.
The other way to get such nice machines to action: Do it the same way as me,
look out for a KFQSA, and connect the internal bus to the KFQSA-bus, this
controller is supperted due to MSCP. This is the way i use my VAX4000-300.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de
 Visit the german VAXpage: http://www.vaxpower.de