Subject: Re: Howto install a KDA50
To: None <Screenager.2000@gmx.net>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/09/2000 13:49:49
Chris,

I don't have my KDA50 manual in front of me right now, so I can't
help you immediately with the jumper settings, but when I get home
I can look at it.  Chances are, it's already set to be the first
MSCP disk controller.

The controller consists of two boards, the M7164 and M7165, joined
by a 40-pin and 50-pin cable.  On the M7164 is a 32-pin connector
which takes a latched cable, which divides into 4 black 8-hole connectors.
In some versions, the cable leads to two patch panels which can be
screwed into the back of a BA23 or BA123 cabinet.  If you have the
panels, I believe you can then connect one of those big blackstrap
cables from the patch panel to the RA81.

The M7164 and M7165 should be installed at the end of the Qbus.  Also,
beware that their power consumption is high, so you may want to limit
the set of cards in there to the bare minimum, as I've heard of some
variants of the BA23 power supply giving up under this load (I've got
a pair in a BA23 working fine though, with RA73's on the same power
box.)

If you then Netboot the computer, you should see the drive appear
as RA0.

If you'd like, I've got a spare KDA50 manual photocopy I could send
you for $2 plus S&H.  Anyway, I think the jumper settings are reproduced
in the archives of this group.

Doug