Subject: format/erase/using tape
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Fazekas Mihaly <michael@goliat.eik.bme.hu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2000 10:45:44
I'm from hungary and my english is not good.

How can i format /erase my TK50?

What is NetBSD equivalent command
of VMS command: "INITIALIZE MUA0: /ERASE"

I think, MUA0: device NetBSD equivalent: /dev/rmt0
But if i type a command: "mt -f /dev/rmt0 erase",
the system response: "Bad ioctl: 9"

Can i use the tape as normal filesystem?
(after VMS command "MOUNT MUA0: $LABEL", can use DIRECTORY (unix: ls)
and other commands.)
Ok, very-very slow, but.....

Other: if i want back up the current directory to the tape, i'm typing
the command: "tar --preserve -cvf /dev/rmt0 *.log"
The system response:
"/netbsd: mt0: drive 0 soft error datagram (continuing): unit 0: tape
transfer error, grp 0x1f00 event 0350: data error (uncorrectable ecc)
(code 8, subcoe 7)"

and the:
"/netbsd: mt0: error 8 (data error)"

and the: