Subject: Re: format(8) ? Where is it?
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/2000 10:59:22
On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 10:52:55AM +0200, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de> writes:
>
> > Usage: scsictl device command [arg [...]]
> >    Commands pertaining to scsi devices:
> >         format
> >         identify
> >         reassign blkno [blkno [...]]
> > [...]
> > see the manual for details.
>
> Can someone tell me whether "reassign" will make any attempt to
> salvage the data in the given block?  I've got a couple of blocks that
> are going bad, but still readable.  I'd like to reassign them and copy
> the data in them to the assigned spares.

depends on the disk, I guess. They could try. The scsictl command is
not involved in this, it just tells the disk to reassign block y.

You should rather make backup copies of the data you need, before trying.

Actually, you can even set a scsi disk to autoreassign-on-write-error, but
not on read error, as on read error you don't have correct data...

Regards,
	-is