Subject: Latest changes.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/2000 22:45:05
Some news:

I have lately done some quite extensive changes to the boot system.
The goal was to use RPB to send info from the booter up to kernel, and
to use rom routines to read the boot program from disk in the boot block.
The result is a boot block with filesystem support for FFS, CD9660 and
USTAR (tar) and a small standalone routine for Massbus disks. All this
occupy less than 7k :-)

The boot program now uses the RPB info for booting if it is autobooting,
so that it is possible to boot even from unsupported devices.

And last, I also wrote a standalone device driver for the DEUNA/DELUA
Unibus ethernet cards, so if someone wants to boot their 11/750 it is
now possible to do the installation from a single TU58 and run the
machine netbooted :-)

A consequence of this is that the old kernels cannot boot with the new
boot block/boot program. New kernels will complain a bit if they are booted
from an old boot program.

-- Ragge