Subject: Re: Vaxstation graphics to SVGA monitor?
To: None <PORTVAX@trailing-edge.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/17/2000 19:33:06
Hi !

On Wed, 17 May 2000 PORTVAX@trailing-edge.com wrote:

> Does anyone here have any experience hooking VAXstations (anything
> from VS2000's to 3100's with SPX or GPX graphics to 4000VLC's and 4000/60's)
> to a modern multisync SVGA monitor?  It'd be nice if the monitor accepts
> sync-on-green, but if not I'd be willing to build my own sync
> separator.  And obviously the multisync SVGA monitor will have to handle
> the scan rates from the vaxstation(s) - but unfortunately I'm having a hard
> time getting scan rate details on many modern commercial SVGA monitors.
> The specs usually list the supported resolutions, but not the actual
> scan rates.

I tried the VAXstation 4000 VLC on a Smile CA-1706. There are just a few
things to look for:

The monitor must support sync-on-green (better ones do, especially Sony)
The frequencies must be in the "high-end-area", ok, early 90s this was max.
78 KHz. AFAIK, LCG uses 1280x1024@72Hz, the other stuff is below this. SPX can
use 2 frequency ranges, one is 1280x1024, the other is 1024x864, but i don't
know the frequencies exactly. DEC monitors use 54, 64, 70 and 78 KHz.
So, if your monitor supports this, it might work fine.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de
 Visit the german VAXpage: http://www.vaxpower.de