Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3400 netboot trouble
To: Rink Springer <rink@springer.cx>
From: Graham Gillies <graham@00-80-c8-0c-ef-43.bconnected.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/15/2000 12:54:20
On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 07:29:52PM +0200, Rink Springer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After I got my VAX 4000/300 to boot, I got a MicroVAX 3400 (yippeee!).
> Anyhow, I set up my servers to allow the beast to netboot, but, alas, it
> doesn't work! The box reads the MOP loader and runs the NetBSD loader. The
> NetBSD loader retrieves the IP address, and happily loads the kernel. But,
> when it runs the kernel, it nicely probes for devices, but the kernel says:
>
> boot device: unkown
> root device:
>
> It shows me a prompt where I can enter the root device, but 'halt' is the
> only allowed option, and that halts the box. Anyone know how I can get this
> box to boot?

You probably want a fairy recent snapshot, I think I've been using the
snapshot available here:
ftp://ftp.neurotica.com/pub/os/NetBSD/vax/1.4x-24APR00/
also check the kernel config you might have too add the line:
le0             at ibus0                # on board lance

--
Graham Gillies  <bofh@telus.net>