Subject: Re: Work for my vax?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/14/2000 19:58:10
On Sun, 14 May 2000, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Marc Schneiders writes:
> >
> > It would be very nice to do a little more than just turn on the vax
> > and maybe have a look at the webpage on it saying "bozohttpd test"
> > (though it takes ages for it to show, which must be my fault).
>
> Have you made sure your DNS settings are correct?  This sounds a bit
> like the "delay attempting to reverse lookup an address" issue.
> Disabling DNS (by removing /etc/resolv.conf) would be a quick test.

I suppose you are right. There *is* something wrong with my DNS,
though similar resolv.conf work fine on FreeBSD and Linux machines
here. I've tried to find out what it is, but couldn't. Running named
on the NetBSD machines makes no difference. If I understand man pages
correctly I should not need a resolv.conf when running named. Well I
do. I have to get rid of the resolv.conf to be able to telnet to the
NetBSD machines and get it back when I want the NetBSD boxes to
connect to the internet.  I am quite stupid, and gave in after
spending a night finding out how to fix this. I now simply copy
resolv.conf to RESOLV.CONF and back when needed through "scripts", one
included in rc.local.shutdown.

> FWIW, my VS3100/M38 runs apache/ap-php3 and can serve a 'index.php3'
> with a phpinfo() call in under 2 seconds.
>
> I would hope bozohttpd would be faster than apache 1.3.x + php3!

Not really, I think. Between one and two seconds, when resolv.conf is
gone... This is on a Vax 4000/200. bozo runs from inetd. And the page
has just "bozohttpd test", not even html in it :-)

--
Marc Schneiders --- marc@venster.nl --- marc@vrijdom.com

FreeBSD unclad.freebeastie.org 5.0-CURRENT