Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 netboot problems
To: None <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/14/2000 10:12:18
> Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 00:31:39 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
> To: Rink Springer <rink@springer.cx>
> cc: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 netboot problems
>
> On Sat, 13 May 2000, Rink Springer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I finally got my VAX 4000/300 working (yay!). If you are creating a FAQ,
> > make sure to have a notice that a VAX-to-terminal cable must _NOT_ be 1 to
> > 1, but 1 to 6, 2 to 5 etc.
>
> Note that this is true of all terminal cables (with the possible exception
> of IBM PCs which are notoriously backwards and un-standard on all
> accounts).

That "all" needs a lot of qualification.

It is exactly true of all DEC MMJ terminal cables.  It is logically
true of older DEC DB25 RS232 cables connecting from DEC computers to
DEC terminals.  (i.e. they are null-modem cables)

But there are a lot more computers and terminals out in the world that
weren't made that way.  :-)

    carl