Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 netboot problems
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/14/2000 13:11:32
Hi !

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > I read somewhere, this 9-pin-Layout is a little bit stolen from the old SGI
> > machines. They had this connector long before the PCs, and the layout is nearly
> > the same than the PCs have. So this needn't be just a space-problem.
> > If you have a DEC H8571-J, the problems are gone, this is the MMJ-DB9 adapter.
>
> Believe me. That adaptor will *not* make you happy. The DB9 that DEC did
> is how you would expect it. 2,3 & 7 are the same as the a DB25, while the
> PC DB9 is *not*.

Oh, this could be the reason, why i only had success with the original DEC-
console-cables :-) I never looked into the pinout. But VS2k has the PC-style,
i recently made a short cable for it to connect it to the VT420 25pin.
Hmm, but my multimeter sais *BEEP* in pins 1 and 7 to FGND there. Isn't that
something with DECs RS-423 using RX- and TX- as GND on RS-232?

Maybe i'm that happy because i'm usually using original DEC-stuff for my
machines. MMJ-cables from DecServer 300 to the VAXen is the best way to make
my VAXen happy. I think i should add some useful stuff to my pinout page :-)

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de
 Visit the german VAXpage: http://www.vaxpower.de