Subject: Re: VAX 4000-300 questions! Help me! Please!
To: Rink Springer <rink@springer.cx>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/13/2000 17:27:50
Hi again,

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Rink Springer wrote:
> > Either your console port on the VAX is broken, or the cable is
> misconfigured.
> What is the correct configuration of the cable?

Ehm... Have to find 2 ends of some cable here, just a moment...
At the first view, it seems to be connected with the whole bank of wires
reversed. So the leftmost pin on the one end is the rightmost pin on the other
end. No guarantee, but it seems so here.

> > You should see at least many numbers of the self test. Turn the switch on
> the
> > console panel to the uppper pisition with this little human profile to
> > avoid autobooting. Then the machine should start up with the language
> inquiry.
> Well, I turned up the switch, and I got a lot of numbers... it finally ends
> with a lot of hard drive activity, and the number '8'.
>
> What does this mean?

Ok, your console works. Big first step... I just fired up my machine to find
out what test 8 is...
Hmm, can"t find out exactly, but according to disk activity and to some
comparisons of information, this could be the SHAC test. It should just take
some seconds. Let the box run a bit longer, and if this doesn't help, just rip
off the hard drives, SHAC is not supported yet, so you just can't use them in
NetBSD with the internal DSSI controller. I use them with KFQSA, this works
fine.

If you get up to test 3, then you should get the console promt:

There you can enter some things like "help" or "show dev" and stuff.
BTW: be sure to use a -current kernel and booter to get this box running, the
support is not yet in the release versions.

If in doubt, there should be somthing usable on http://www.vaxpower.de/download

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de