Subject: VAX 4000-300 questions! Help me! Please!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Rink Springer <rink@springer.cx>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/13/2000 15:43:31
Hi everyone,

I got a VAX 4000-300 recently, and I'm trying to get the beast running. I've
got a DEC VT320 terminal with it plus keyboard, so that should work... the
point is, I didn't get *any* cables with the box, so I went to a local radio
shack and had them make a cable from that weird 6-pinned DEC plug to the
same weird 6-pinned DEC plug on my terminal. The cable is one to one (eg pin
1 from the VAX reaches pin 1 of the terminal and so forth and so on). I
plugged the cable in the connector with the two 'arrows' above eachother:

<---
 --->

In both the VAX and the console.

When I turn everything on, nothing seems to happen! My console shows the
intro screen, and when I slam a key, it just shows the normal display.
Nothing ever gets there!

I can hear my VAX spin up the disks, and it appears to read data from them
(I have NO clue what's on the disks). The display on the VAX has shown a lot
of numbers, but now it's just stuck at 6. I've turned the dial to be at
9600bps, which my terminal uses, but I never get any data!

Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks!
Rink