Subject: Help needed with Vaxstation 4000/60
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/11/2000 14:10:32
On Thu, 11 May 2000, Kevin M. Myer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have never used a VAX before in my life so figuring out how to get one
> to boot from a floppy is quite the challenge.  However, I came into
> posession of a Vaxstation 4000/60 recently and not really caring to run
> OpenVMS or ULTRIX on it, netBSD seemed like my alternative operating
> system choice.  I have a few questions.

	Welcome :)

> First, how do you boot from the floppy drive?  I followed the installation
> instructions, and used rawrite to place a copy of the install program on a
> floppy (I also tried using dd).  However, all my BOOT RX25 or BOOT FLOPPY
> commands failed.  The light on the drive would go on sometimes but it
> would never bootstrap from the floppy.  Unfortunately for me, the install
> instructions assume a higher level knowledge of the VAX than I currently
> possess - basicaly I have no knownledge :)

	Well I've never seen or used this particular system so I don't
know how much help I can be. The usual command is show dev or show
devs. The floppy is likely going to be DUA0 unless it's a SCSI floppy
(matt or someone correct me here) Simply typing ? or help at the >>> on
most DEC PROM's will list all available commands. It's always a good idea
to format the floppy on the VAX itself in the PROM, on a VS 3100 m30 the
command is t 70, I don't know what it is on your machine. It never hurts
to check that the floppy power conector is fully snapped on, the drive ID
slider is set to 0 and blowing the dust bunnies out. If you still can't
get it to boot, a Q-tip and some Isopropyl alcohol or a head cleaning disk
wouldn't hurt. Oh wait, Matt/Brian, does the boot floppy image have 4000
support? That may be a far bigger problem.

> Secondly, regarding the video card - can it be made to work with a VGA
> monitor in any way?  The card has three mini coax connectors and the video
> cable has three BNC connectors on the other end.  I had hoped I could just
> hook it up to a monitor I had that had BNC RGB inputs but apparently that
> requires a vertical sync cable as well.  I do have access to a 21" DEC
> monitor that was originally with this system but I don't want to lug
> around a big monitor that can only be used with the VAX, nor do I really
> have room for it.

	It can be made to work with an SVGA monitor provided it can handle
the sync rates and has sync-on-green support. The cable you refer to is
called a 3W3 => 3 BNC, the sync signals travel on the green signal. Try
connecting it to the monitor with the 5BNC inputs. My DEC VRC-16 has
5BNC's but it will use sync on green unless you hook up a separate sync
cable. I'd say that most monitors with BNC inputs can handle both sync on
green and composite sync. There are commercial converters that will
convert sync-on-green but those will cost you $$. If none of the above
works you could build your own converter with the right parts, provided
your handy with IC's and a soldering iron.
	FYI, there is no working X server for any VAXen yet, if the
graphics console works, it's very likely going to be like "BIOS video
writes" on a PC so it's not going to be accelerated. I think there is a
working X client somewhere if you can use another machine for an server,
again I don't know if that will work on your machine and it is definitly
not accelerated.

> Which leads me to my third question.  Does this VAX have serial
> ports?  And if so, it it possible to establish a console on a serial port
> of the VAX?  If I can't get the video working on my existing monitor at
> home, using a serial port for a console would be my next choice
> (obviously).

	Most likely, usually there are two MMJ ports (look like phone cord
with the locking tab offset to one side) or maybe a DB25. You'll need
9600-N-8-1 with XON/XOFF and a DSR/DTR handshake to use them

> The machine I have has a floppy drive (RX25 I think), two 1 Gb SCSI hard
> drives (don't know the part #), what could be a LCSPX video card (judging
> from a picture I've seen of that card) and 32 MB of memory.

	There were some articles posted a month or two back about booting
a 3100/m30 with an RX23 that might help you. I have yet to get my 3100 to
boot by floppy.

> Once again, apologies for the simpleton post - but I am a complete and
> utter newbie with VAX hardware and firmware.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated, or else I guess the VAX will have to go to the dumpster.

	I'll take it I'll take it!

	Chris