Subject: Re: (Micro)VAX 4000/200 bootblocks
To: Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/08/2000 11:44:56
Marc Schneiders wrote:
> For the record, disk works otherwise fine (can be mounted and used).
> I've had another look at man disklabel and /etc/disktab and noticed
> the number of sectors (etc) in disktab differs from what I had in my
> disklabel as well as the names of the partitions (a, b, c, d
> versus a, b, h, g). So I tried to follow man instructions very closely
> (I had not done a *new* label on the above disk, but merely edited
> it with disklabel -i) and labeled an empty disk (ra2) with:
>
> disklabel -w -r ra2 ra82

Be careful, I still don't know what disk controller you have connected
to this disk but I do know that many disk controllers use the name
"RA82" as a fake disk name. They are not _real_ ra82s (big honkin' SDI
drives) they are something else (all my DSSI disks claim to be RA82's
when they go through the KFQSA even through they are actually RF71's and
'72s)

So, for the record, what disk controller are you using on this disk and
what kind of disk is it?

--Chuck