Subject: Re: VS4000 kernel & boot(s)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/25/2000 07:30:37
Hi !

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:
> This I would love to accomplish. I have a spare VS4000/VLC but where are
> your hands? Do you have an LK201 keyboard, a mouse and a video cable (3W3)
> ? I do not have documentation on the VAX framebuffers unfortunately,
> perhaps someone on the port-vax list does. I have read your work on the
> PMAX systems so I am hoping you need only hardware. Can you run it diskless?

Attention, the 4000 VLC is definitely no TurboChannel machine. At least, it's
not any kind of TC someone has ever seen. And the usual framebuffer is the
LCG, some boxes may have up to SPX in it. I don't know if there are some
compatible things to the PMAGB-BA or something, and the TurboChannel in the
4000/60 and 4000/90 is even different from that seen in DECstations. I's not
that easy.

But a tip for the VLC (if you get a cable somewhen...): I looked into memory
some time ago, and found the framebuffer, at least the video memory. But i
didn't find the plane control registers, so i just got a monochrome picture
out of it. But i think, this was at 0x30000000 in memory. Some registers, then
video RAM.

As a cable, you can use a usual 3W3-BNC-cable, Monitor is 78KHz/72Hz (VRT19-HA
or Sony GDM-1961), Keyboard is LK201 or LK401, both work, and a mouse is not
that important for the first stage, the console support. It's this VSXXX-GA
or so.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de