Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3100/30
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/22/2000 12:36:05
On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Matt Thomas wrote:
> At 10:18 AM 4/22/00 , Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> >Secondly, I only have a connector that will go into port 2.  Port 0, 1,
> >and 3 have connectors that look somewhat like RJ45, but I know that they
> >really aren't.  Port 2, on the other hand, has a 25-pin serial connector
> >that fits the null modem cable I have.
>
> That's your problem.  The port with a printer icon (which is a MMJ port)
> is the console port and the one you want to connect to.

I think of greater significance is the fact that Tyler has a MicroVAX
3100/30 which isn't supported by NetBSD/vax yet.  The VAXstation 3100/M30
is, and then some of the older MicroVAX/3100s are.

That's not to say he still can't good help from people on the list who've
experience with the MV3100/30.  On that model, I'm not sure which port
would act as the serial console.  Given that it's a MicroVAX 3100/30, it's
a server box and wouldn't have had a graphics head, so one of the ports
has to act like the console.

Other places to find good help on the system are the USENET groups
comp.sys.dec and comp.os.vms.

As far as cabling goes.  I've got a DEC MMJ to MMJ serial cable with the
part number BC16E-10.  This lets me connect from the MMJ port on my
VAXstation to the MMJ port on my VT420.  DEC also made some DB25 adapters
for the MMJ cables.  I've got one with the part number H8571-F.

Truth be told, if you just need an MMJ to MMJ cable then you can use an
RJ-11 style telephone cable with either 4 or 6 wires.  Sheer off the
plastic latches, and then you'll have yourself a precarious cable that
works, though it tends to slip out of the MMJ ports.  Nothing that a
little micro-wedge of misc cruft can't remedy.

He might check http://www.blackbox.com/ as well for DEC cabling products
if he wants to do it the *right* way.  There are likely other suppliers.
Maybe try http://www.mouser.com/ and http://www.cabledepot.com/

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----