Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3100/30
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Tyler Mitchell <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/22/2000 12:18:12
On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

> on 4/21/00 10:04 PM, fission at fission@mb.sympatico.ca wrote something
> like:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just recently acquired one of these computers and would like to see it
> > running NetBSD.  However, I can't seem to get it to display anything on
> > the serial terminal I have rigged up.  I've got the switch on the back in
> > the up position and everything's plugged in good, but for some reason I
> > just can't get _anything_ to display at all.
>
>     Are you using 9600-N-8-1 on port 3 (the printer port icon, not the comm.
> port icon) with XON/XOFF flow control and DTR/DSR handshake (also called
> modem control on DEC terminals)?

Well, no.  =)

First of all, I don't have a real DEC terminal, it's some ex-brander that
I picked up when the City here switched systems.  (MAI Basic/Four).
Anyone with info on these terminals?  (It works just fine, I used to use
it a bit on this Linux box - now I just need to find/make a terminfo entry
for it.)

Secondly, I only have a connector that will go into port 2.  Port 0, 1,
and 3 have connectors that look somewhat like RJ45, but I know that they
really aren't.  Port 2, on the other hand, has a 25-pin serial connector
that fits the null modem cable I have.

And what kind of connector is port A?

And do external storage devices have to be terminated?  I've got a
StorageWorks box that I've got plugged in, but I don't have a terminator
for it.

--
Tyler Mitchell,
the thoroughly confused